Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions a valuable mental health resource for Veterans



Question: Does Polk County have any animal control laws and/or a leash law?

Answer: No, the county does not have a leash law or any animal control laws. Each city within the county has different ordinances. Check with the local City Police for city ordinance information if you reside within city limits.


Question: Who do I contact to find out if a civil paper has been served? 

Answer: You can call the Polk County Sheriff's Office at 417-777-9020 Monday through Friday 8am-4pm or email Staci @


Question: I need to serve a civil paper on someone, are there fees involved? 

Answer: Yes. Those fees are covered under our  "Civil" section.


Question: What job opportunities are available at the Polk County Sheriff's Office? 

Answer: When job opportunities arise, they are published in the local newspaper. If you apply for a job, your application is valid for 6 months. You must re-apply if you have not been called for an interview within that time frame.


Question: Can the Sheriff's Office enforce a City ordinance? 

Answer: No. We cannot enforce any city ordinance. It is up to the Police Department in your city to enforce your local laws.

Category: EVICTION

Question: How do I evict someone or have them evicted? 

Answer: The Eviction process is a civil matter and is handled in Civil Court. Law Enforcement may only enforce Orders of the court obtained after a court hearing. You may need the assistance of an attorney in order to file suit for eviction.


Question: How do I file for a protection order? 

Answer: You can request a protection order at the Circuit Clerk's Office, Monday thru Friday 8am-5pm. After contacting the Polk County Victim Advocate at 417-326-5726 ext 3. or contact the House of Hope at 417-777-3229 or 417-399-6744. Protection orders are served by the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

The following is the procedure for obtaining an ORDER OF PROTECTION:

  1. Orders issued by the Circuit Court to protect victims in Domestic Violence situations.
  2. To be eligible, the victim must be 18 years of age, and must have been in a "Domestic Type Relationship" with the  offender, within the definition of the law. The definition includes married people, people related within the 4th degree of consanguinity, people who have lived together, had a child  together, or have been in a dating relationship. Parents or advocates may also obtain, or assist in  obtaining, Orders of Protection on behalf of others in some circumstances.
  3. Forms to obtain Orders of Protection are available at the Circuit Clerk's Office. The Clerk may assist  applicants in filling out the forms.
  4. Generally, there are no costs associated with this order. 
  5. The completed application form is presented to an Associate Circuit Judge for review.
  6. The victim/applicant may have to answer questions from the Judge before he decides whether or not to issue the order. There must be sufficient grounds to issue the order.
  7. If the application is approved, the Associate Circuit Judge will issue an Ex-Parte (Temporary) Order of  Protection. This Order will be delivered to the Sheriff's Office to be served on the offender. The Order has  no validity and cannot be enforced until and unless the offender has been served with the Order.  All  contact information for the offender must be listed in the application in order to expedite the service of the order.
  8. When the offender is served, the Order will specify a court hearing date and time. The offender may appear to challenge the Order at that time.
  9. At the time of the hearing, the Judge change the temporary order to a "Full Order of Protection" (up to 1 year), may modify the provisions of the order, or may drop or terminate the temporary order.
  10. Any person who violates any provision of the Order of Protection has committed a crime, specifically a  Class A Misdemeanor, the punishment for which is up to a $1,000 fine and/or up to one (1) year in jail.
  11. If you believe there has been a violation of your order Law Enforcement should be contacted.


Question: How can I be fingerprinted for work/job purposes?

Answer: Your employer should direct you to  the private agency they have contracted for this service. The Polk County Sheriff's Office does not process fingerprints for public uses. Bolivar Police Department is able to provide the service for work/job purposes.

Category: JUVENILE

Question: What do I do when I have a problem with a juvenile? 

Answer: If you have a problem with an individual 17 years of age or less you should contact your local juvenile authority.


Question: Who do I contact if I need legal advice? 

Answer: The Polk County Sheriff's Office enforces criminal laws and cannot give legal advice. If you have an issue of a civil nature you should contact an attorney.


Question: How and under what conditions can I report someone missing? 

Answer: Missing Person reports are separated into two general categories:

  • Missing/Runaway Juveniles: The parent or guardian of any juvenile (under 18 years of age) may file a missing person-runaway juvenile report at any time. These reports will be immediately entered into the NCIC/MULES law enforcement databases, which would serve to alert any officer from any jurisdiction having contact with the juvenile that he or she is listed as missing or a runaway. Deputies will also follow-up on any leads provided by the parent/guardian as to the possible location of the juvenile.

  • Missing Adults: Any person eighteen (18) years of age or older is considered to be an adult with full freedom of movement and liberty.  Exceptions would include persons 18 years of age or older who remain under the legal guardianship of another adult or protective services. Deputies will take reports of missing adults at any time.  The extent of any follow-up will depend upon the circumstances of the disappearance. For example, if evidence indicated that the missing person was endangered or may have been forcibly abducted, deputies would immediately begin follow-up on leads. If the missing person simply has not been seen recently but no evidence of foul play was found to exist, then our agency would attempt to contact the missing person and suggest they make contact with the reporting person.


Question: How do I form one? 

Answer: Neighborhood Watch Programs are administered through the Polk County Sheriff's Office. For more information, please call the Sheriff's Office 417-777-9020.

Category: PERMITS

Question: What do I need to do to get a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit (CCW)? 

Answer: There are several steps that you must take in order to get a CCW:

  1. Take a safety course from an approved trainer (A list of approved trainers is available upon request from the Sheriff's Office).
  2. After completion of the course you need to visit the Sheriff's Office. You will need to bring the following:
    1. Certificate of Training
    2. A valid photo ID
    3. A check, cash or money order in the amount of $100.00 made out to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
  3. After finishing the paperwork at the Sheriff's Office, you will need to be fingerprinted at the jail.
  4. Within forty-five days, you will receive a telephone call from the Sheriff's Office stating that your paperwork has arrived back at the Sheriff's Office. You will then return to the Sheriff's Office and pick up your CCW permit.


Question: How do I renew my Concealed Carry Weapons Permit (CCW)?

Answer: For a CCW Renewal you will need:

  • Driver's License
  • CCW Permit
  • $50.00- Cash, check or money order only.

You have 6 months to come in and renew your CCW. Once your CCW expires you have a 30 day grace period. Once your grace period is up it will be an extra $10 on top of the $50 for the next 5 months. This means you could end up paying $100 for a renewal. Once you have gone past the 6 months you will have to start over with all of the initial fees and getting fingerprinted and such.

Category: REPORTS

Question: Can I file a report on-line? 

Answer: No. A deputy must make contact with a person making a report. Some reports can be made over the telephone, if convenient, such as cases of phone harassment or scams. If you need to file a report you should call the non-emergency number at Central Dispatch 417-777-3911. If you have an emergency please call 911.


Question: How do I add information to a report I made? 

Answer: Information can be added to your report by either contacting the original officer who took the report or the detective assigned to the case by calling the office at 417-777-9020.


Question: How do I get a copy of the report I filed? 

Answer: Incident Reports are usually ready within 5 business days. If you have any questions regarding a report you can call 417-777-9020 during the hours of 8:00am-4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Copies of reports can be obtained at the Polk County Sheriff's Office from 8am to 4 pm. A written request and a report fee may be required.


Question: I am the victim of a crime, how do I find the status of my case? 

Answer: Information regarding the status of your case can be obtained by calling the Polk County Sheriff's Office and speaking with the Detective assigned to your case.


Question: Why does it take so long to get a Deputy to my house to take a report? 

Answer: We have 671 square miles to cover. We have a limited number of officers on duty at one time. We may be completely across the county from your residence answering another call or serving papers and sometimes it takes us a little while to get there. Emergency Calls are priority, typically if we are backlogged our central dispatch will let you know our approximate arrival time. We apologize for any delay, and you  will receive the same attention and time to your case as all other citizens.


Question: Will the Sheriff's Office check my residence if I am out of town? 

Answer: Yes. If you know you are going to be out of town an extended amount of time you may call the Sheriff's Office and request an extra patrol of your residence for a period of up to 30 days. A log will be made and officers will make an extra effort to check your residence. At the end of the 30 day period a new request will have to be made by a visit to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Category: TICKETS

Question: Where can I get information about my ticket? 

Answer: Information regarding court dates OR questions regarding the amount of any fine  be obtained by calling the  Court where the ticket was assigned. The court's phone number will be on the ticket.


Question: When does law enforcement tow vehicles? 

Answer: Any disabled or abandoned vehicle left along a state or county road deemed to pose a danger or hazard will be towed immediately.  Vehicles left along the right of way will be stickered and towed within 48 hours unless removed by the owner. Attempts will be made to contact the owner of any towed vehicle.


Question: Can the Sheriff's Office unlock my personal vehicle? 

Answer: Only in cases of an EMERGENCY, such as a small child being locked inside a vehicle, then can the Sheriff's Office will send someone to assist with gaining entry to your personal vehicle. If the Sheriff's Office is requested to unlock a vehicle we will not be held accountable for any property damage. If there is any question as to the possibility of property damage then a professional locksmith should be contacted. In non-emergency cases, you would need to call a professional locksmith to assist in gaining entry into your vehicle.

Category: WARRANTS

Question: How do I find out if I have a warrant? 

Answer: You can come by the Polk County Sheriff's Office at 113 E. Jefferson, Bolivar, Missouri,  in person. An officer will assist you with checking for any warrants you may have. No information will be given over the telephone regarding warrants. You can also call the Courthouse at 417-326-4821.


Question: I have a warrant for my arrest. What should I do? 

Answer: You should contact the local law enforcement agency in the county from which the warrant was issued so that arrangements can be made to take care of the warrant.

Submit a Crime Tip